Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Donkey's Soup

I used to ride a big 16.2-hand thoroughbred named Zeke, an unlikely name for an elegant ex-race horse. I'd bring him carrots and apples. As I met other beasts around the barn, I started bringing more treats.
Gathering ingredients for this soup, I thought about how we move toward our goals like a donkey going after a carrot on a stick. If our perseverance is rewarded, we get to eat the carrot soup. And then we want more. So I add squash and spice.
I ended up breaking my ankle at that barn. Nothing so grand as flying over a fence. No, I tripped over a sleeping dog while I was carrying two heavy buckets of feed.

THE DONKEY'S SOUP (Serves 4)
2 carrots chopped
1 rib celery, chopped
1 tablespoon butter
1 curvaceous butternut squash, peeled, seeds removed, chopped
1 tart green apple, peeled, cored, chopped (squash and apple should be at a 3 to 1 ratio)
3 cups vegetable broth
Pinches of nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper, turmeric, cardamom
2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground fennel
1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon garam masala
3/4 cup toasted cashews
Combine butter, onion, celery and carrots in large saucepan. Cook for 5 minutes. Add squash, apple and broth. Bring to boil. Simmer for 10 minutes or until squash is soft. Purée. Add spices to taste. Note: Spices grated or freshly crushed will make your senses glow, but if your spice cupboard is lacking, a tablespoon or more of curry powder will suffice. Sprinkle cashews on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment